Impartial Hearings

If you have a child with disabilities (or possible disabilities) whom you believe did not receive a free and appropriate public education or reasonable accommodations, you can request an impartial hearing. At hearing, a hearing officer listens to both sides and decides -

  • What, if anything, went wrong?
  • How to fix it.

Hearing officers are NY State-licensed attorneys. At a hearing, you will present your case. It is a good idea to keep track of all your communication (meetings, emails, letters, phone calls) with all NYC Department of Education (DOE) staff.

To Request an Impartial Hearing

You can request a hearing in writing by mailing a letter that includes:

  • Your child's full name and the address where your child lives.
  • Your child’s ID number, which you can find on their report card.
  • Your child’s birth date.
  • The name of the school your child attends.
  • Your name and contact information, including email.
  • Your description of the problem, with as many facts as you know.
  • The solution you want the DOE to provide.

Make two copies of your letter. Send the original to:

Impartial Hearing Office
131 Livingston Street, Room 201
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Fax #: 718-391-6181

Send a copy to:

NY State Education Department,
P-12 Office of Special Education
89 Washington Avenue – Room 309 EB
Albany, NY 12234

Please keep one copy for your own records.

You can use the following form to help you write your request, but it is not required.

file-pdf file-word file-word file-excel file-excel ar bn zh ko ru ur en fr-FR fr-HT es Español

For More Information

Implementation of an Impartial Hearing Order

For questions about an impartial hearing order that has already been issued, please contact the Impartial Hearing Order Implementation Unit.

Back to Top