Schools distribute student MetroCards to eligible students at the beginning of each semester, and as needed during the school year.
You can immediately use your student MetroCard at every subway and local bus. Student MetroCards cannot be used on express buses.
Student MetroCards are:
- Different from “regular” MetroCards sold to the public
- Good for three trips each school day; allowing a student to travel to school, from school to an after-school activity, and from that activity to home
- Only to be used by the student to whom it was assigned
- For traveling to and from school and school-related activities between 5:30AM and 8:30PM
- For traveling only on days when the student’s school is open for classes
- Valid for one school semester
Types of Student MetroCards
Full-fare student MetroCards allow students to travel to and from school and school-related activities by bus and subway at no cost; visit the transportation eligibility page for more information.
There is a special four-way student MetroCard for students whose trip to school requires more than one transfer each way; you must request this type of card at your school.
See below for guidance on using your student MetroCard, adapted from theMTA's The Best Way to and from School.
Using your Student Metrocard on a Bus
Hold the card with the word “MetroCard” facing you. Insert the card into the slot on the top of the fare box and wait for it to pop up back out to you.
Using your Student MetroCard on the Subway
Hold the card with the word "MetroCard” facing you right side up. Without lifting the card, slide it through the slot on the turnstile.
Using your MetroCard on a bus at the start your trip will place a free transfer on your card. Then you can continue your trip for free on the subway or bus if you transfer within 2 hours. When you swipe or dip again, the little window will say “Transfer OK.”
If Your Card Doesn’t Work
Make sure you are using your MetroCard the right way. If you have trouble, ask the station agent or the bus operator for help. If your card still doesn’t work, return it to your school for a replacement.
If Your Card is Lost or Stolen
Report lost or stolen school MetroCards to your school right away. Your school will deactivate the missing card and provide a new one.