The Genovesi Environmental Study Center (ESC) offers rich and engaging environmental science programs for students at all grade levels. This 7,000 square foot learning center, sitting on over an acre of beautiful grounds, is home to:
- over 200 living organisms;
- four dynamic learning labs;
- a fully equipped biotechnology lab;
- an outdoor learning space with pond habitat, urban farm, and learning gardens; and
- a greenhouse with hydroponic and aquaponic laboratory.
At ESC, students get hands-on environmental science and STEM instruction. The highly trained staff help students explore the urban habitats around them and become stewards for the environment. Our programs are age- and grade-appropriate and aligned to the NYC Science Scope and Sequence and New York State P-12 Science Learning Standards.
Environmental education teaches students to coexist with and appreciate nature so that they can make responsible decisions for their communities and future generations. Environmental education begins in our own backyards, encouraging learning to connect with the world around us. The awareness, knowledge and skills established by exploring local habitats provide a basis for developing global awareness and a richer comprehension of causes, connections and consequences. ESC engages students in experiences that challenge them to think critically about real-world contexts and issues from which STEM concepts and skills are learned. Learn about the class programs offered to students in grades K-12.
Contact us at GESC@schools.nyc.gov.
ESC has two unique learning labs, one for plants (flora) and one for animals (fauna). Flora has four grow labs that provide a steady supply of plants to study. This lab hosts our hydroponic, aquaculture, and aquaponic classes. We also have a fully functioning greenhouse for botany instruction. Fauna is home to over 100 Bess Beetles, Hermit Crabs, Fire-belly Toads, and Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. We also have many mammals that are terrific for students to observe and engage with. Children enjoy being up-close with our chinchilla, hedgehog, and rabbits.
In our fully equipped biotechnology lab students and their teachers can work with professional, high-grade equipment. Lab activities include:
- DNA extraction
- running gel electrophoresis
- DNA fingerprinting and barcoding
- water-quality analysis
Each lab is outfitted with a class set of microscopes and triple-beam balances.
Beyond the School Day
We have school vacation and summer programs for students in grades K-12. Program topics include:
- endangered animals
- animal care, and
Our small group structure lets student dive deep into their learning and get individualized attention. Students particularly enjoy the daily animal encounters! All classes are taught by experts in the field. We often partner with scientists and experts from local science-rich cultural institutions to provide in-depth knowledge and support.
We are located in the Bergen Beach section of Brooklyn at 7151 Avenue T, Brooklyn, NY 11234 next to PS 312. We encourage NYC school groups to book a NYC Public School Bus for their transportation needs. Schools outside NYC should contact their local bus company.
- 2 to Flatbush Avenue/Brooklyn College, exit and board the B41 LTD bus.
- B/Q to Kings Highway, exit and board the B100 bus.
- 5 to Flatbush Avenue/Brooklyn College, exit and board the B41 LTD bus.
- Q to Avenue U, exit and board the B3 bus.
- L to Canarsie/Rockaway Parkway, exit and board the B82 bus to Flatlands/Ralph Ave. Walk down Ralph Ave. towards Bergen Ave. Turn left onto Bergen and then turn right on Avenue T. Note – this is about a mile walk.
- BM1 to Veterans Avenue/E. 71st Street – Get off at 71st Street and walk towards Avenue T, turn right on Avenue T.
- B3 to Avenue U/E. 71st Street – Get off at 71st Street and walk towards Avenue T, turn right on Avenue T.
- B41 LTD to Veterans Avenue/E. 71st Street – Get off at 71st Street and walk towards Avenue T, turn right on Avenue T.
- B46/B47 to E.68th Street/Avenue N – Get off at 68th Street and walk towards Avenue T, turn left on Avenue T.
- B100 to Avenue T/Mill Avenue – Get off at Avenue T/Mill Ave and walk towards 63rd Street.
- Q35 to Avenue U/Flatbush. Get off and get on the B3 to Avenue U/E. 71st Street. Exit at 71st Street and walk towards Avenue T, turn right on Avenue T.
It is best to download a map and directions and make sure the bus driver has a copy.