A parent teacher conference is a short meeting between you and your child’s teacher to talk about your child’s academic performance and experience at school. Parent teacher conferences are held four times a year.
These meetings help you understand what your child is experiencing and learning at school, and what you can do to support them. If your child is having trouble, parent teacher conferences also give you and the teacher time to plan how you can both help them best.
Your School. Your Child. Your Voice. Take the NYC School Survey NOW!
Make the Most of Your Parent Teacher Conference
- Talk to your child before going to the conference. Ask them if they would like you to speak about anything particular with the teacher.
- Ask your child what their strongest and weakest subjects are, and which ones they like most and least.
- Review your child’s academic progress, test scores, and attendance on your NYC Schools Account.
- Make a list of questions you have and topics that you want to discuss with the teacher. Include things that might help them understand your child’s challenges, strengths, and interests. Describe what you see as your child’s strengths and explain where you think your child needs more help.
Questions to Ask
Here are some questions that may help you have a productive conversation with the teacher:
- What is my child expected to learn, know, and do at this grade level?
- What does my child do well, and what does my child struggle with? Can you give me examples?
- How do you know when my child is making progress and when they need additional help?
- What are you doing to support and motivate my child?
- How do you challenge my child when they are already doing well at something?
- What does my child get excited about learning?
- What can I do at home to support my child?
- Are there programs or services in the community that could also help my child?
- Are there times when my child is more or less engaged?
- Has my child made friends?
- How does my child get along with classmates and adults?
- Does my child participate in class discussions and group activities?
Translation and Interpretation Services
Translation and interpretation services are available at parent teacher conferences and throughout the year. Contact your school’s parent coordinator for more information.