New Students

A diverse group of elementary school students outside their school, smiling

Need a School?

If you're new to New York City DOE public schools or need help with enrollment, you've come to the right place! Year-round, we're here to help with applications, waitlists, and more. 

Enroll in 3-K

Interested in 3-K programs for the 2020-2021 school year?

If you don't yet have a placement in a 3-K program for your child born in 2017, email us at We will support you in exploring program availability. For eligible families, some programs are available throughout the year and/or for longer hours. Please note that we have limited seats so placement is not guaranteed. Learn more about 3-K.

Interested in 3-K programs for fall 2021?

In New York City, you can apply to 3-K in the calendar year that your child turns three. If you have a child born in 2018, you can apply now for 3-K programs that begin in fall 2021. The 3-K application is open until May 28, 2021. Learn more about 3-K.

Enroll in Pre-K

Need a pre-K program for the 2020-2021 school year?

Some pre-K programs can enroll children at any time throughout the year, if their family is eligible based on income and needs. You can also email us at for assistance in finding a program with an available seat near you. Learn more about pre-K.

Need a pre-K program for fall 2021?

Every New York City resident (including those who have temporarily moved out of New York City during the COVID-19 pandemic) can start attending pre-K in the calendar year they turn 4. The pre-K application is currently closed, but if you have a child born in 2017, you can add them to a pre-K program's waitlist. Learn more about pre-K.

Enroll in Elementary or Middle School

Most students in kindergarten through eighth grade attend their zoned school if they have one. To find out if your New York City home address has a zoned school, call 311 or use Find a School and type in your home address.

  • When schools are in session: If you have a zoned school, contact that school directly to register.
  • If you don't have a zoned school or would like to explore other options, contact a Family Welcome Center to register for school.

Learn about your zoned school and/or other schools in your district online with MySchools:

Enroll in High School

If your child has finished eighth grade, they can start high school. All new students enrolling in high school must contact a Family Welcome Center to register.

Transfers, Non-Resident Enrollment, and Charter Schools

Enrollment for Students in Temporary Housing

Students in temporary housing, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, are not required to submit documentation (including address, proof of date of birth, and immunization records) in order to participate in any admission process or enroll in school. Read the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act here:

  • Call Us

    Call Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm at 718-935-2009.

  • Get Support

    Family Welcome Center staff are here to help.

Back to Top