Need a School?
If you're new to New York City DOE public schools or need help with enrollment, you've come to the right place! Year-round, we're here to help with applications, waitlists, and more.
Enroll in 3-K
For families of children born in 2016: If you're interested in 3-K programs for the current (2019-2020) school year, email us at ESEnrollment@schools.nyc.gov. We will support you in exploring program availability. Seats at 3-K programs are not guaranteed.
For families of children born in 2017: Learn when and how to apply to 3-K for the 2020-2021 school year!
Enroll in Pre-K
For families of children born in 2015: You can enroll them in pre-K for the current (2019-2020) school year.
For families of children born in 2016: Learn when and how to apply to pre-K for the 2020-2021 school year!
Enroll in Elementary or Middle School
Most students in kindergarten through eighth grade attend their zoned school, if they have one. To find out if your New York City home address has a zoned school, call 311 or use Find a School and type in your home address.
- When schools are in session: If you have a zoned school, contact that school directly to register.
- If you don't have a zoned school or would like to explore other options, contact a Family Welcome Center to register for school.
Learn about your zoned school and/or other schools in your district in the following MySchools directories:
During the Application Period: Learn when and how to apply to kindergarten, test to participate in Gifted & Talented admissions, and apply to middle school.
Enroll in High School
If your child has finished eighth grade, they can start high school. All new students enrolling in high school must contact a Family Welcome Center to register.
During the Application Period: Learn when and how to apply to high school, and to test or audition to apply to the specialized high schools.
Transfers, Non-Resident Enrollment, and Charter Schools
- Find out how to request a transfer from one NYC public school to another. *Please note that all transfers except for safety and emergency transfers are currently on hold.*
- If you live outside the five boroughs of NYC but would like to enroll your child in a NYC public school next year, learn about non-resident enrollment.
- If you're interested in charter schools, learn how to enroll and contact schools directly.
Below are some forms you might need to enroll in a DOE public school.
- Ready to enroll? Use our Pre-Registration Checklist to learn what you need to provide when you register your child for school.
- New to NYC? Fill out this Housing Questionnaire at your new school or a Family Welcome Center.
- If you're not the primary leaseholder or homeowner where you live, fill out the Parent Affidavit of Residency and get it notarized.
- If you're temporarily taking care of a student but are not their parent or guardian, fill out the Non-Parent Affidavit and get it notarized.
We speak your language! If your home language is not English, be sure to request a Home Language Identification Survey from your school or a Family Welcome Center. Interpretation services are available in more than 200 languages.