Students in Temporary Housing

The law requires that students living in temporary housing have the same public education and the same educational services as permanently housed students.

Complete the Housing Questionnaire to help determine services a student may be eligible to receive.

file-pdf file-word file-word file-excel file-excel ar bn zh ko ru ur en fr-FR fr-HT es Español

Get Help

We have an office that can help families who live in temporary housing. To get you to the right person, we’ll need to know what district you live in now.

Find your District

Call 311 and ask for a representative. Tell them:

  • you are looking for the school district; and
  • where you are currently living.

Or go to Find a School and:

  • Type your current address
  • Click Search

Connect with a Regional Manager

Once you know your district, you can reach out to the person who works with it. Below is a list—by district, and depending on the borough their office is located in—of our staff. You can also find information about District 75, District 79 or Central Staff further down on this page.


District 10, 12

Stephanie Dyer
One Fordham Plaza
Room 816
Bronx, NY 10458

District 9

Shaquieta Boyd
One Fordham, Plaza
Room 816
Bronx, NY, 10458

Districts 7, 8, 11, 12

Rebekha Askew
1230 Zerega Avenue, Room 6
Bronx, NY 10462

Districts 8, 11

Brittany Taylor
1230 Zerega Avenue, Room 6
Bronx, NY 10462


Districts 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 23, 32

Wayne Harris
131 Livingston Street, Floor 4
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Districts 17, 18, 20, 21, 22

Charlene Mitchell
1780 Ocean Avenue, Room 1B
Brooklyn, NY 11230


Districts 1, 4, 7

Cecilio (Bo) Diaz
333 Seventh Avenue, Floor 7
NY, NY 10001

Districts 2, 3

Iris Gersten
333 7th Avenue, 7th Floor, NY, NY 10001

Districts 5, 6

333 7th Avenue, 7th Floor, NY, NY 10001



Districts 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

Linda Wilson
28-11 Queens Plaza North
LIC, NY 11101

Staten Island

District 31

Charlene Mitchell
1780 Ocean Avenue, Room 1B
Brooklyn, NY 11230

District 75, Special Education

Michele Marcel
400 First Avenue
NY, NY 10010

Joan E. Boreland
400 First Avenue, Room 715
NY, NY 10010

District 79


Linda Cervantes
Bronx Regional HS
1010 Rev. Polite Avenue
Bronx, NY 10459
718-518-3320 ext. 4365


Zully Tejada
Alternative Learning Complex
269 West 35 Street
NY, NY 10018
212 244-1274 ext. 112


Millie Velasquez
Marcy Avenue Complex
832 Marcy Avenue
Brooklyn, 11216
718-636-5770 ext. 2047

Deborah Rosen
Center for High School Alternatives
69 Schermerhorn St.
Brooklyn, 11217
718-935-9457 ext. 1040


Samara Mohamed
Jamaica Learning Center
162-02 Hillside Ave
Jamaica, NY 11432
718-739-2100 ext. 5006

Staten Island

Melissa Galli
St. George
450 St. Marks Place
Staten Island, NY 10301
718-273-3225 ext.120

Central Staff

Michael Hickey, Executive Director
52 Chambers St., Room 3M
New York, NY 10007

Katherine Marshall-Polite, Advisor
1230 Zerega Avenue, Room 6
Bronx, NY 10462

Erin Lester, Director of Policy and Intergovernmental Partnerships
52 Chambers Street, Room 3M
New York, NY 10007

Bak Harris, Director of Regional Support
One Fordham Plaza, Room 816
Bronx, NY 10458


file-pdf file-word file-word file-excel file-excel ar bn zh ko ru ur en fr-FR fr-HT es Español

Frequently Asked Questions

Which students are considered homeless?

A student who lives in any of the following situations is considered, under the McKinney-Vento Act, homeless:

  • A shelter or transitional shelter,
  • A motel,
  • A car, bus or train,
  • A park or public place,
  • An abandoned building, or
  • With friends or relatives because they cannot find or afford housing.

Who is an unaccompanied youth?

An unaccompanied youth is a person, under the age of 18, who lives in one of the situations listed above and is not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian.

What education rights does an unaccompanied homeless youth have?

Under the McKinney-Vento Act, an unaccompanied homeless youth has the right to:

  • A free public education
  • Immediate enrollment in their zoned school
  • Attend school no matter how long they have lived at their current location
  • Stay in the school they attended before becoming homeless or choose to attend their new zoned school
  • Transportation services to and from school
  • Not be denied immediate school enrollment just because of their situation, or because they lack enrollment documentation
  • Not be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless, and to
  • Receive free school meals

Where can I get help in schools?

Every borough has at least one Students in Temporary Housing Content Expert who works with schools and manages programs and services for homeless youth.

The STH Content Expert also supervises a team of Family Assistants.  Family Assistants are located at shelters and in some schools. They help families with enrollment, getting immunizations and school records, and arranging transportation to and from school.

Additionally, both District 75 and District 79 have STH staff members you can contact. Their contact information is listed above.

How do I choose a school if my child is homeless?

When choosing a school for your child, you can choose:

  • The school your child attended before they became homeless,
  • The last school your child was enrolled in; or
  • Any school available to a non-homeless child who lives in the same area as the homeless child.

How do I enroll my child?

The following information applies only if your child is currently not enrolled in school, or you want to change your child’s school.

  • Elementary school: enroll your child at the school for which they are zoned. If you live in a city homeless shelter, the family assistant at your shelter can help you. If there is no family assistant in your shelter, or if you are not residing in a shelter, contact your school or the STH liaison for help.
  • Middle school: enroll your child at the school for which they are zoned. However, if you live in a district that does not have zoned middle schools, go to the Borough Enrollment Center. Call 311 for the address of your nearest Borough Center.
  • High school: all high school students must enroll at the Borough Enrollment Center.

What if there is a disagreement about enrollment?

If you and the Office of Enrollment disagree about something, your child must be immediately admitted to the school at which they are seeking enrollment. Then the Office of Enrollment will review and decide the disagreement. You will receive a letter from Office of Enrollment explaining their decision. You can challenge (appeal) the decision. An STH staff member will help you.

Is transportation help available?

Homeless students have the right to transportation to and from school. Buses are provided for students in Pre-K to grade six. If busing is not available, your child is eligible for a student MetroCard.

If your child receives a student MetroCard (and is in Pre-K–6 grade), you are also eligible for public transportation help. This is so that you can ride public transportation with your child.

Students in grades 7–12 are eligible for a student MetroCard.

For more information, contact a staff member in the Students in Temporary Housing Office (listed above).

Back to Top