Want to Transfer Schools?
To learn about different ways to transfer, select the reason that best applies to your situation from the links above. Learn what to do, where to go, and what documentation to bring.
If your family’s situation does not match any of these reasons, or if you aren’t sure which reason best applies, visit a Family Welcome Center. Our enrollment counselors will work with you to understand your situation and discuss next steps, including any transfer options.
Current School is Unsafe for my Child
We are committed to ensuring that all students can attend school safely.
- If you believe that your child is not safe at their current school, meet with a staff member at their school to discuss your concerns. These concerns can be related to violence, harassment, intimidation, or bullying.
- The school will submit documentation to a Family Welcome Center to request a transfer.
- You can also bring documentation such as a statement or a police report to a Family Welcome Center to request a transfer.
Bullying or Harassment
We will work with all families who want to transfer due to concerns of bullying and harassment.
- If you would like to seek a transfer because of bullying or harassment, please visit a Family Welcome Center—locations and hours are listed on our Family Welcome Center page.
Corporal Punishment or Verbal Abuse
If your child has been the victim of a corporal punishment or verbal abuse complaint and it is decided that it would be unsafe for them to stay at their current school, we will approve transfer requests based on the criteria in Chancellor’s Regulation A-101.
If you have or your child has a medical condition or disability that prevents physical access to the school, you can request a medical transfer. Visit a Family Welcome Center and bring documentation from your medical provider on their letterhead. The document should explain the health condition and why they recommend a transfer. With your permission, our staff may contact the medical provider to get more information.
Academic or Social Concerns
Are you concerned that your child is not progressing or achieving academically or socially? If you think a different school could help, you can request a guidance transfer.
- Our staff may contact your child’s principal for more information and supporting documentation before making a transfer decision.
- Your child’s school cannot request this transfer for you; you will need to visit a Family Welcome Center to make the request.
Moved Within NYC
If you have moved within NYC and want your child to go to a school closer to your new home, you can enroll in a different school.
Elementary and Middle School
Type your home address into Find a School to learn if you have a zoned school.
- If you have a zoned school and your child is in elementary or middle school, you can register directly at that school.
- If you don’t have a zoned school or if you’d like to explore other options, visit a Family Welcome Center.
Use the Pre-Registration Checklist to learn what you need to bring to the school or Family Welcome Center to register.
If your child is in high school, visit a Family Welcome Center to register.
- Use MySchools to make a list of high schools and programs that interest you, and bring it with you when you visit.
Sibling at Different School
If you want your child to go to the same school as their sibling, you can request a sibling transfer. Siblings include half-siblings, step-siblings, and foster siblings who live in the same home as your child. Visit a Family Welcome Center to make the request.
Elementary School Only
If your child’s school location creates a hardship due to your employment and/or childcare situation, you can request a childcare transfer. Visit a Family Welcome Center and bring documentation from your employer and/or childcare provider that confirms the hardship.
High School Only
If your commute to high school is more than 75 minutes and/or requires more than three transfers on public transportation, you can request a travel hardship transfer. Visit a Family Welcome Center and bring documentation that shows your home address.
Read the Pre-Registration checklist and Chancellor's Regulations to help with transfers for your child.