Every New York City student deserves to graduate with college and career options ahead of them. This is why we launched the College Access for All initiative. Our goal is to remove barriers that prevent students from seeing college in their futures, and to provide every student with support to enroll, access, and thrive in college.
Tips for Preparing Your College Applications
- Create a list of schools you are interested in attending. Work with your guidance counselor to make a list of 8–15 colleges to which you want to apply.
- Research application fee waivers. Depending on your financial situation, you may qualify for free application to some schools.
- Learn more about the schools on your list. Participate in a virtual college tour, visit a college fair, or enroll in a fly-in program. A fly-in program is when a college helps you pay for airfare and transportation to visit their school.
- Keep track of deadlines and application requirements. Use a calendar to schedule time for writing your college essay, and make a checklist for letters of recommendation.
- Prepare for financial aid. After you submit your college applications, prepare to apply for financial aid.