Click below to learn statistics about each respective topic, like the total number of students in the school system.
There are 1,135,334 students in the NYC school system, the largest school district in the United States. Of those students:
- 13.5 percent of students are English Language Learners
- 19.7 percent are students with disabilities
- 74.0 percent are economically disadvantaged
- Race or ethnicity:
- 40.5 percent Hispanic
- 26.0 percent black
- 16.1 percent Asian
- 15.0 percent white
- 113,528 are in charter schools
Schools and Programs
There are 1,840 schools within the DOE as of September 2018, including 235 charter schools.
NY State Assessment Results for 2018
In 2018, the NY State Education Department made changes to the tests, and this year’s results can’t be compared to previous years’ results.
The 2018 results for NYC students were:
- 46.7 percent of NYC students are proficient in English Language Arts with NYC students continuing to outpace their NYS peers in 2018.
- 42.7 percent of NYC students are proficient in math, narrowing the gap with NYS in 2018.
Graduation and Dropout Rates
- The four-year graduation rate increased by 1.7 percentage points, from 74.3 percent in August 2017 to 75.9 percent in August 2018.
- The dropout rate decreased by 0.3 percentage points, from 7.8 percent in August 2017 to 7.5 percent in August 2018.
SAT and Advanced Placement
- A record-high 61,800 juniors took the SAT exam in 2017, an increase of 51 percent since the previous year as a result of the first-ever SAT School Day offered in spring of 2017.
- A record-high 49,364 students took at least one Advanced Placement exam in 2017, a rise of 9.9 percent since the previous year. Over the last five years, there has been a 39.4 percent increase.
Citywide Information and Data
See the Citywide Information and Data page for more detailed reports and other information about:
- Test Results
- English Language Arts & Math
- Regents exams
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
- Advanced Placement exams
- Graduation Results
- Survey Results
- NYC School Survey
- Principal Satisfaction Survey
- School Quality
- School Quality Reports
- Quality Review Ratings
- Doing research on New York City public schools