DREAM stands for:
- Ambition, and
DREAM is a Saturday and summer academic program that prepares eligible seventh-grade New York City public school students to take the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) in the eighth grade.
DREAM in the 2019-20 School Year
As of 2019, DREAM’s two programs, the DREAM-Specialized High School Institute, and the DREAM-Summer/Fall Intensive, will merge into one program, DREAM-SHSI. The program will begin in February of a student’s seventh grade year.
If a student is accepted, they must commit to participate in the entire program.
This program runs:
- February–June of seventh grade, Saturdays only
- July and August after seventh grade, Monday–Thursday for five weeks
- September–October of eighth grade, Saturdays only
DREAM-SHSI Application and Enrollment Process
- Letters to eligible students will be sent to their homes and schools in November, with instructions on how to apply. Applications must be completed by December 13.
- Families apply by following the enrollment instructions in their letters.
- If there are more applications than available seats, a random selection will be conducted, and a waitlist will be created.
- Offer letters will be mailed to families and schools in December or early January.
- Classes will start on Saturday, February 1, 2020.
To be eligible for DREAM-SHSI students must meet all of the criteria in Part A, and one of the criteria in Part B:
- Be a current NYC resident
- Be enrolled in the seventh grade in a DOE public or charter school
- Score a minimum of:
- 3.2 on the 2019 grade six English Language Arts, and
- 4.0 on the 2019 grade six Mathematics NY State tests
Students must EITHER:
- Meet income requirements based on federal guidelines, as informed by the family income inquiry form, regardless of district of residence.
- Live or attend school in NYC school district 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 23, or 32.
For questions, please email SHSI@schools.nyc.gov.