Enroll in Adult Education Classes (Ages 21+)

Who Can Enroll?

Any New York City resident who is:

  • 21 years or older
  • Does not have U.S. High School diploma or equivalency (HSE)

Some Career and Technical Education (CTE) classes also have limited space for adults who do have high school equivalency diplomas.

How to Enroll

Adult Learning Centers

Call or visit one of our Adult Learning Centers located in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx. There you will:

  • Have an interview
  • Take a test
  • Get a description of the programs
  • Be placed in classes

Registration Locations

Please call our Adult Learning Centers in advance to set up an interview—each location has it's own schedule.


Bronx Adult Learning Center (BxALC School 1)
3450 East Tremont Avenue, Room 323
Bronx, NY 10465

Principal: Anne Bernard, 718-863-4057

Class Locations

  • Supporting School Districts: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12
  • Bedford Park, Castle Hill, Fordham, Hunts Point, Morrisania, Mott Haven, Norwood, Parkchester, Throgs Neck, Wakefield, West Bronx, West Farms

Queens West

Queens Adult Learning Center (QALC School 2)
27-35 Jackson Avenue, Floor 3
Long Island City, NY 11101

Principal: Olga Stewart-Nelson, 718-361-9480

Class Locations

  • Supporting School Districts: 24, 26, and 30
  • Astoria, College Point, Corona, Elmhurst, Flushing, Fresh Meadows, Jackson Heights, Kew Gardens, Long Island City, Maspeth, Ridgewood, Sunnyside, Woodside

Queens East

@ Queens Transition Center (School 3)
142-10 Linden Boulevard
Queens, NY 11436

Principal: Sabrina Fleming, 718-558-2046

Class Locations

  • Supporting School Districts: 25, 27, 28, and 29
  • Bellerose, Briarwood, Far Rockaway, Glendale, Hollis, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Laurelton, Ozone Park, Queens Village, Richmond Hill, Ridgewood, Rochdale Village, Rockaway, Rosedale, South Jamaica, South Ozone Park, St. Albans

Manhattan South: Below 119th Street

@ Pathways to Graduation Complex (School 4)
269 West 35th Street
New York NY 10018

Principal: Charmaine Luke, 212-868-1650

Class Locations

  • Supporting School Districts: 1 and 2
  • Manhattan, below 119th Street

Manhattan North: Above 119th Street

Mid-Manhattan Adult Learning Center (MMALC School 5)
212 West 120th Street
New York, NY 10027

Principal: Gloria Williams, 212-666-1919 or 212-666-1920

Class Locations

  • Supporting School Districts: 3, 4, 5, and 6
  • Manhattan, above 119th Street

Brooklyn: East and South East

@ P.S. 13 Roberto Clemente (School 6)
557 Pennsylvania Avenue, Room 251
Brooklyn, NY 11207

Principal: Tiffany Taylor, 718-240-2770

Class Locations

  • Supporting School Districts: 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 22
  • Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Borough Park, Canarsie, Coney Island, Crown Heights, East Flatbush, East New York, Flatbush, Midwood, Ocean Hill- Brownsville, Sheepshead Bay, Sunset Park

Brooklyn: West and South West

@ John Ericsson Middle School 126 (School 7)
424 Leonard Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
Principal: Martha Mancini, 718-384-5028

Class Locations

  • Supporting School Districts: 14, 17, 23, and 32
  • Bedford-Stuyvesant, Bushwick, Clinton Hill, Crown Heights, East New York, Flatbush, Fort Greene, Greenpoint, Prospect Heights, Ridgewood, Williamsburg, Glendale, Maspeth
  • Supporting School Districts: 13, 16, and 31
  • Bedford-Stuyvesant and Staten Island

Brooklyn North and Staten Island

Brooklyn Adult Learning Center (BALC School 8)
475 Nostrand Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11216

Principal: Felicia Garrett, 718-638-2635

Class Locations

  • Supporting School Districts: 13, 16, and 31
  • Bedford-Stuyvesant and Staten Island

Central Office

District 79
90-01 Sutphin Blvd
Jamaica, NY 11435
Robert Zweig

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I have a high school diploma or college degree from another country?

You can still take our Adult Ed classes.

Do students need social security numbers or documents to take adult education classes?

No documentation is needed for:

  • English as a Second Language,
  • Adult Basic Education,
  • High School Equivalency classes

Want to register for a Career and Technical Education class, leading to certification and job placement? You may need to give a social security number or other documents to verify your identity.

I am 18-21 years old. This page says Adult Education is for ages 21+. What do I do?

We have other services for those between the ages of 17-21. Check out the information for High School Equivalency.

Back to Top