Summer in the City offers a variety of free and exciting opportunities through the Summer Academy and Summer School programs. Students spend the summer participating in engaging lessons and hands-on STEM activities, along with taking field trips to museums, parks, and other cultural sites.
Summer in the City provides transportation and all students will receive a free, healthy breakfast and lunch.
Applications for the Summer Academy enrichment programs are open March 18 to April 26. Learn more about the Summer Academy programs, including student eligibility and how to apply:
Summer School is for students who were not promoted to the next grade during the regular school year. Students attending Summer School receive additional instruction to prepare them for success in the next grade. Learn more about Summer School:
All DOE students are welcome to enroll in Summer in the City’s programs, including students who receive special services. Extended-School-Year, Related Services and D75 summer programs are also available for students depending on their IEP.
Learn more about the Special Education services available this summer by talking to your student’s Principal or visiting:
Stay in Touch
Want to receive the latest information about Summer in the City’s programming? Sign up for our email updates on the DOE’s Connect page:
Summer in the City Calendar
First instructional day for high school students
First instructional day for elementary and middle school students, Summer Academy programs, Extended School Year, Related Services, and Chapter 683:
Independence Day observed (schools closed)
Last instructional day for elementary and middle school students
Last instructional day for high school students
Last instructional day for Extended School Year, Related Services, and Chapter 683:
Days and Times
- Summer Academy and Summer School for elementary and middle school: Operates Monday–Thursday from 8:30AM to 2:30PM.
- High School Summer School: Operates Monday–Friday, but course times vary by location.
- Extended School Year and Related Services: Operates Monday–Friday from 8:30AM to 2:30PM.
- Chapter 683: Operates Monday–Friday from 8:10AM to 2:40PM.
Students qualifying for transportation during the school year will also receive transportation services for Summer in the City programming.
- Free transportation is provided depending on students’ grade level and the distance between their residence and school.
- Summer School sites will distribute MetroCards to qualifying high school students.
- Students who are not eligible for transportation during the school year but are attending a summer location more than a half mile from their home school may be assigned a shuttle stop to transport them from their home school to the summer location. Parents can contact their child’s home school or the summer location for assistance before the start of summer school.
Learn more about transportation services and eligibility by visiting the Transportation page, below:
Do you have questions about Summer in the City? Read our FAQ: