PER SESSION VACANCY NOTICE # 1322: Teacher - NYC Comprehensive Language Other Than English (LOTE) Exam Development Team Member (Office of Assessment)
- Posted Date: Nov 6, 2020 Deadline: Jan 29, 2021
(CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING AVAILABILITY; this position is subject to budget approval and availability and may be withdrawn at any time)
NYC Comprehensive Language Other Than English (LOTE) Exam Development Team Members (Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Urdu and Vietnamese) (positions, up to 2 per exam team)
New York City Department of Education license as a teacher of LOTE or fluency in one of the following languages: Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Urdu and Vietnamese
- Fluency (read, write, and speak) in one of the following languages: Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Urdu and Vietnamese.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (read, write, and speak) effectively in the language of fluency
- Familiarity with New York State LOTE Checkpoint A and B benchmarks and the format of the LOTE Comprehensive exams
- Familiarity with World Readiness Standards for Language Learning
- Must have a minimum of 3 years teaching experience (in any subject). Preference will be given to applicants who are teachers of the language of fluency
- Ability to work well in groups and committees
- Ability to meet ongoing deadlines
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Comfort and proficiency with using collaborative software (e.g., Microsoft Team/Zoom, for conference calls/webinars and sharing web-based documents)
- Applicants must be rated as Effective, or Highly Effective for the last three years
- Satisfactory cover letter which includes your qualifications and availability (See below)
- Previous experience writing or editing items for world language assessments (preferred)
- Applicants will be selected to ensure a variety of schools are represented across the whole exam development team and within language teams
- Preference will be given to middle school teachers to serve on SLP team.
Preference will be given to high school teachers to serve on Comprehensive Exam teams
Duties and responsibilities may include one or more of following tasks:
- Review passages and items for the LOTE Comprehensive exam in the language in which you are fluent with a trauma informed lens for bias and sensitivity issues
- Submit LOTE Comprehensive and SLP exam content by various rolling deadlines (To Be Determined)
- Participate in professional development sessions on assessment development, bias and sensitivity issues, thinking about content through a trauma informed lens, rubrics, guidelines, and norms (Dates and times TBD based on availability and language)
- Attend meetings and conference calls between February and May (as needed)
- Maintain ongoing communication with the development team until exams and/or assessment materials are complete
- Maintain and submit timesheets for relevant activities
- Write/select, review, and edit passages and items for the LOTE Comprehensive exam in the language in which you are fluent, which will include content appropriate to the New York State LOTE checkpoint A and B benchmarks
- Analyze, produce, revise/edit assessment related materials for the language in which you are fluent
- Participate in research to improve evaluation of student assessment responses
- Participate in audio recordings of passages in the language in which you are fluent
February 2021 through May 2021 – The number of per session hours depends on funding availability and program needs (To Be Determined). The work schedule may include weeklong and daily sessions, continuing in after the school day and/or weekends during the school year for up to 11 hours maximum per position.
HOURS UP TO, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE APPROXIMATE NUMBER OF HOURS LISTED. ADDITIONAL HOURS GRANTED UPON THE APPROVAL OF THE HIRING MANAGER.
Per Session rates as per the relevant union/organization of the advertised title (UFT, CSA, DC-37 - Collective Bargaining Agreement). Contingent Upon Funding Availability.
Send application: OP 175, copy of resume, cover letter, copies of NY State Teaching Certification, and two references by January 29, 2021 to OAPerSession@schools.nyc.gov.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE ABOVE CIRCULAR NUMBER ON YOUR APPLICATION
If you have any questions about this activity, please e-mail OAPerSession@schools.nyc.gov with the subject “LOTE”.
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.